Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables and Gremolata
For the Chicken:
❑ 2ea Whole Chickens
❑ Black Pepper
For the Root Vegetables:
❑ 1 Turnip, large dice
❑ 1 Celery Root, large dice
❑ 2 Parsnips, large dice
❑ 1 Large Onion, large dice
❑ 2oz Schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
❑ 1c Chicken Stock
For the Gremolata:
❑ 1bu Parsley, minced
❑ 1TBL Capers, minced
❑ 1 Lemon, Zested
❑ 1tsp Rosemary, minced
1. Salt and pepper the chicken, let it sit while you pr the rest of the dish.
2. Mix the root vegetables, herbs, and chicken fat together, layer on the bottom of a roasting pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt, add the chicken stock so the bottom of the pan is not dry.
3. Put the seasoned chickens on top of the root vegetables, and roast in a 325 oven until the internal temperature of the chicken is 155 degrees.
4. While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, make the gremolata on the side. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and check the seasoning.
5. When the chicken is done, remove from the oven, and let it sit for around 5
6. Serve the chicken with a side of the root vegetables, and topped with the gremolata.